Friday, February 11, 2005

Hurry Up and Wait

Hurry Up and Wait
I have to pretend that it won't, but I now know my securities fraud case will settle. The judge reamed out the plaintiff at the settlement conference, and strong-armed him into making an offer. It was a good offer, much less than costs of defense. Our client has countered, making sure it isn't paying more than it has to, but we've been told that if push comes to shove, it will take the offer.

It will probably take until sometime next week to iron everything out. In the meantime, trial is just over two weeks away. We have to "keep the pressure on" by continuing to get ready for trial, file some motions in limine, get our jury instructions and verdict forms out, subpoena witnesses, be a nuisance. In other words, I'm doing a ton of semi-mindless "busy work."

So, I'm going to get back to work and bill as many hours as I can before I'm told to stop working. But when you know it isn't going to matter, it's hard to put much effort into it. I'll just mark everything I do "draft" and plug away.

No comments: